Friday, March 6, 2009

Kitchen FaceLift Part 1 of 3

So for the three plus years that we have been living in Freeport, I really haven't loved my kitchen. Yeah, it's a great size, there's room for everything in the fridge, I have the best island - even our family of 6 can eat at it every night, but I don't like the white cabinets, and I hate the floor. Well, I finally lived with it long enough...Mike was surprised I lasted this long without changing it.

Part One was painting some of the cabinets black. We don't have the money to put all new cabinets in, even those I would have really like that - but at the same time I didn't think I would change much as far as the layout, so I research how to paint laminate cabinets. It was definitely a process. First, a commerical grade cleaner to get all the years of dirt and grime off the cabinets, then sanding, priming, sanding, painting, and painting again and finally distressing them.

If you know me at all, you know that I love to paint. I don't mind trimming out at room and rolling the paint on the walls...I've even been known to decide to paint a room, get the paint and paint the whole room before Mike comes home from work (that was before we had 4 kids.) I love to see the transformation that happens with paint - it's almost like instance gratification for me. BUT this doing a little bit at a time thing, not my style. It took me a 1 1/2 weeks to finish this painting. I will say it may be a while before I start part 2 of the kitchen Facelift...it's painting again and it's not walls. :O)

BEFORE: (this was a pic from when we first moved in, previously I had painted the walls, changed out the cabinet knobs and put up new wall coverings.)
AFTER: Desk area in the kitchen
AFTER: The island also got a facelift - now it's all black

Now that the painting it done, I LOVE my newly painted cabinets. I would have done it sooner. I wonder how long it will be before I start Part2

1 comment:

  1. good work cara! it looks really nice.....i'm with you- painting is fun, but it gets old when you have to do it a little bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete