Friday, August 28, 2009

Flashback Friday



This a flashback of a different sort. The last couple days I have been canning peaches and it got me thinking of my grandmas. Both of them loved to be in the kitchen.

Grandma Lucas did lots of baking. I think just about every time I was at her house when I was younger she would be baking cookies, breads, or bars. I loved to seat by the table eating for the cookies to come out of the oven, the smell only was enough to make anyone happy. Every Sunday she would have a plate of goodies for us to eat while the adults would drink their coffee and talked about happened during the past week. Now Grandma isn't able to stand in front of the stove to bake for us any more, but she still enjoys having us, especially the boys over for a invite. The food of choice for my boys at Great Grandma's house is club crackers. Grandma has them in a special little container just for the boys and she always has milk and chocolate syrup for a cold glass of chocolate milk.


Grama Geerlings did about everything is the kitchen; canned, baked - oh her pies were to die for, she loved to cook a feast no matter how many people were coming over.
I remember my younger brother and I sneaking over to G & G's old farm house almost every day, you see G & G lived next door to us while I was growing up and Grandpa loved his 3:00 coffee. We would sit around a small table with blue vinyl swirl Herman Miller chairs, we would usually snack on fresh fruit, cheese & cracker, and to drink orange juice & squirt mixed, but every so often there would be leftover pie, yum. Nobody made an apple pie like Gram.
She also loved to cook, I remember helping serve a number of dinner parties she had in the basement at her house. She could whip up a meal that was fit for a king; Rotisserie Stuffed Pork Tenderloin, mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, and couple different veggies loaded with butter and pepper, her famous pink applesauce, a nice toss salad. The meal was always topped of with not one, but 3 or4 or even 5 different kinds of pie; apple, blueberry, cherry, or peach just to name a few. I remember having to scrub what seemed like 100 of dishes (everything was made from stratch) but it was all worth it for the delicious meal that was waiting when we were finished.

I could go on and on about my grandmas, but I will leave that for a later date. For now I just want to say both of my Grandma were women of God that I looked up to. I am striving to be like them every day. Thank You Grama G and Grandma L for the examples that you were and still are in my life.

1 comment:

  1. oh the pies! memories indeed! my mom and i are going to try our hand at her pig in the blankets this week. hopefully they turn out just like she made them. yummy!

    ReplyDelete