Friday, August 5, 2011

Sewing Class

This past week, I had the opportunity to teach a sewing class to 3th - 6th graders at a Arts Camp at our church.  This year, the Arts Camp had 23 different types of classes that the kids could be involved in; classes like cake decorating, woodworking, drawing, karate, singing, acting, etc.  

It was a fun week, even though this was my first teaching a sewing class.  Most of the girls had no experience with a sewing machine, so I started off simple.  

Day 1:  the girls learned how to thread their machine and how to sew straight stitches and zig-zag.
Day 2:  They learned how to use a seam ripper to pull out seams and believe me there were lots of seams pulled this week...but for some reason I pulled the majority of them out. :)  We also started with the pattern.  I think the fun-est part of the day was when the girls got to pack out what fabric they were going to use for the week long project.  We finished the day by getting our fabric cut.
Day 3:  We started day 3 with learning to sew on a button.  Then we continued to sew on the projects.
Day 4:  We spent the whole day sewing on the machines...and taking out many seams.
Day 5:  We had a little bit more sewing to do and then had to pull the drawstrings through the pockets...that seemed to be a bit difficult for some of the girls.  But the good news is everyone went home with a finished project, so I was happy. :)

Here are the girls with their finished bags...they made a drawstring backpack.
I love how they taken out.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't say thank you enough, Cara. Faith had so much fun in your class, and she is VERY proud of her bag. I can't wait to get my machine back from getting fixed . . . I think she's going to be busy!

    Thank you for your time and patience . . . and for the adorable sewing kit you sent home with Faith!

    ReplyDelete