Wednesday, May 19, 2010

not so extreme makeover - Part 1

About 18 months ago, I was given this piece of furniture from my grandparent's estate.  Since then it has been collecting dust and spider webs in our garage.  I wasn't really sure where I wanted to use it and I really was dreading stripping and re-painting it.

Well, the time has finally come,  I am in the middle of redoing our toy room into an older "game" room... more on that later.  Last Saturday  I had it in my mind that I was going to striping and re paint the table in one afternoon.  Sounds simple, right?  HA!!!  I was a really frustrated after I could only get the first layer of paint off and the layers, yes that's right LAYERS, of oil based paint.  I spent all afternoon and into the early evening trying to get the paint off.  Finally I decided that maybe the orbit sander would make it go a little bit fast...and it did, but I ran out of sandpaper.  So now if sits until next Saturday, when I hope to get it ready for painting, may be even get a coat of paint on it.







 Does anyone have any ideas how to get the paint off the hinges?  I really think they are unique and I would  like to have them back to their regular state.

Can you guess what color I plan to paint it?