Wednesday, May 19, 2010

not so extreme makeover - Part 1

About 18 months ago, I was given this piece of furniture from my grandparent's estate.  Since then it has been collecting dust and spider webs in our garage.  I wasn't really sure where I wanted to use it and I really was dreading stripping and re-painting it.

Well, the time has finally come,  I am in the middle of redoing our toy room into an older "game" room... more on that later.  Last Saturday  I had it in my mind that I was going to striping and re paint the table in one afternoon.  Sounds simple, right?  HA!!!  I was a really frustrated after I could only get the first layer of paint off and the layers, yes that's right LAYERS, of oil based paint.  I spent all afternoon and into the early evening trying to get the paint off.  Finally I decided that maybe the orbit sander would make it go a little bit fast...and it did, but I ran out of sandpaper.  So now if sits until next Saturday, when I hope to get it ready for painting, may be even get a coat of paint on it.







 Does anyone have any ideas how to get the paint off the hinges?  I really think they are unique and I would  like to have them back to their regular state.

Can you guess what color I plan to paint it?

5 comments:

  1. I think you are going to paint it black :)
    Can you let the hinges soak in liquid stripper or paint thinner? I don't know if it will do damage to the metal or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Magic Eraser? And, I'm voting for a new shade of turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know you're going to paint it black :) i say just add another layer of paint on top, it will add to the charm of it. it's very cute. can't wait to see your finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. why don't i recognize this piece? where was it at gpa & gma's house? or maybe it's from your other grandparent's? just wondering. i agree that you should just paint over it. sounds a lot easier!! and i think you are going to paint it red. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Julie : it is from G & G Geerlings. It was in the storage room off of the kitchen in the basement. I never saw it before then either. IF I gathered the info correctly. Grama's brother made it for her.

    ReplyDelete